A Brand New Hip
Released: June 7, 2013
This is my first album under the name Groove Masta Putz. I was making music before this, but it marked the beginning of what would later become a very important part of who I am and how many people know me. My goal was to make a lot of dope music and that's pretty much it.
The album itself is probably more valuable to others as a frame of reference than to actually listen to lol. I explored some cool stuff, but the levels are very poorly mixed and well some parts of the songs get a bit... crowded. Reminds me of senior year of high school anyway, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.
Guess everyone is their own worst critic, huh?
I did go back and remaster some of these so they probably sound better on the website than in other places.
A Brand New Hip
After listening to this famous clip I instantly knew that there was a ripe banger to be plucked from this gem.
Acid Assassin Action
At this point in my life I was watching Samurai Champloo and decided to sample a scene from that.
Alone With You
Just some classic nerd shit. Meloncholy, melodic vibes and squorps and bloops.
Sampled Rocko's modern world for this one.
I Love Music
Sampled I Love Music by Ahmad Jamal and chopped it up as a way to practice more "musical" sampling instead of just scenes and vocals. First discovered the original sample from Nas - The World Is Yours, a true classic.
Intergalactic Space Carpet (Interlude)
Some classic drum & bass shit. Fuckin' goes hard too! Surprisingly well mixed, at least given where I was at.
This is what my conception of a party beat was at the time lol. Lots of different ideas going on at once that in some chaotic way work out together kinda. Kinda. I still like it though.
Yet more drum & bass. This time a bit more subdued than Intergalactic Space Carpet. It's an homage to the snow, because we have a lot where I'm from. Like the winter snow it's dark and pretty... with a lot of reverb.
Mle's Elm Tree
Liked a girl at the time so I made her a song that's chaotic as hell and confusing, which wasn't the intention, but quite fitting for a high school crush. Peaking out of the chaos are occassional moments of beauty and jazz though. And a lot of trying too hard lol. Here's a list of all the samples in their original glory because they should also be appreciated by themselves on their own merits. More or less in the order they appear:
- Honey Drippers - Impeach the President (drums)
- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Foundations of Stone
- Gorillaz - O Green World (random guitar thing)
- Art Blakey - Prelude In Blue (random horn)
- Dave Brubeck - Koto Song (not the one used here, can't find it online. Same jazz standard tho
- Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost
- John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
- Oscar Peterson - Call Me
- Juan García Esquivel - Adiós
Ooooh man, this one gets goofy right off the bat, damn haha. I didn't remember this one until listening to it to write this description but wow. There sure is a lot going on here, huh.
Much more calm than the other two previous tracks, at least when it starts out. Sampled a literal stream from freesound.org and went on a musical journey with it.
Vidja Game Space Orgy
Video game music has always been a pretty heavy inspiration in my music ever since I figured out how to record wave files with Gens (genesis emulator) so I could listen to music from Sonic the Hedgehog. This is an homage to all the dope video game music that I liked at the time. Very chaotic. Full list of samples:
- Bomberman Hero - Monogenic
- The Fabulous Peps - Love of my Life (drums)
- Sonic Adventure 2 - Meteor Herd
- Sonic 2006 - Flame Core: The Cavern
- Metal Gear Solid 3 - Sea Breeze
- Sonic and the Secret Rings - Skeleton Dome
- Metal Gear Solid 2 - Father and Son
- Sonic Adventure - Egg Carrier
- Sonic Adventure - Red Mountain
- Persona 3 - Iwatodai Station
- Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater
- System Shock 2 - Engineering A: Coolant Tubes
- Eternal Ring - Waterfall Cavern
- Goof Troop - Illusion
- Sonic Heros - Hang Castle
- Sim City 3000 - South Bridge
- Sonic Adventure 2 - Supporting Me
- Diablo - Town
Lotsa reverb and literal vibes. Much more uplifting and upbeat, but still chaotic.